home     about     recipes     press     travel    

11 April 2014

Moroccan Carrot & Quinoa Salad

Moroccan Carrot & Quinoa Salad | happy hearted kitchen
Moroccan Carrot & Quinoa Salad | happy hearted kitchen

 I walked up to the market last Wednesday morning and was stopped completely in my tracks. Radishes! Yipee! Baby Carrots! Oh yeah! White Asparagus! I almost fainted.

Spring is really starting to sneak in, and I think it's my favorite time of year. So much newest and freshness. The smells, the tastes, the sun and the anticipation of all that is, summer.

The sign above the carrots at the market said: Carottes Nouvelles. As in 2014's newest crop of carrots. This got me as excited as some people get for the Beaujelais Nouveau! New carrots!? All small, light orange with gorgeous green tops and so sweet tasting. No joke, I brought them home and did a sample taste with Matt just as one would sample a new wine. We sat on the deck and nibbled away. I even went so far as to compare them to one of last weeks carrots still in the fridge. Pretty crazy, I know. But mother nature is one awesome broad and I just want to savor everything she brings our way. Hope you're getting some hits of spring wherever you are!

Moroccan Carrot & Quinoa Salad | happy hearted kitchen
Moroccan Carrot & Quinoa Salad | happy hearted kitchen


Moroccan Carrot & Quinoa Salad

Although fresh carrots right out of the garden don't need much more than a good scrub, I made a big batch of this salad for my lunches this week and thought I'd share. And plus, with picnic and bbq season just around the corner, this is a great one to add to your repertoire as it can be kept in the fridge for a few days and still tastes fresh. Toss in some rocket or other spring greens (carrot tops!) for a bit of color just before serving, if you so desire. 
Serves 2. Double quantities to feed a crowd.
 
Ingredients

Spiced Quinoa

  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 3/4 cup salted water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground paprika and coriander
  • Pinch each ground fennel seeds, anise seeds and cinnamon (optional, but totally delicious)

Salad
  • 5 medium carrots
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon local honey
  • 2 tablespoons raisins or currants
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds
  • Large handful each fresh parsley and coriander

What to do

  1. Rinse the quinoa under cold water in a metal sieve for about 30 secs. Add rinsed quinoa and water to a pot and season with salt. Add in spices. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit with the lid on for another 5 minutes.
  2. While the quinoa is cooking, ribbon or slice the carrots and place in  a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, honey and lemon juice and set aside.
  3. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, add to the carrots along with the raisins, almonds and fresh herbs (reserve a few for the final touch). Toss everything together with your fingertips or two forks and serve or refrigerate.

14 comments:

  1. this is just beautiful! Hahah I live in Scotland right now and yes Spring is here kind of but really really cold. But I know what you mean, it's so exciting going to the markets and seeing all the produce coming in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! Hope it warms up for you up there! J x

      Delete
  2. I have to try this recipe! I love quinoa and Morrocan dishes so this is definitly a recipe I musy try. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Azu! If you love Morrocan dishes, you'll probaly love the fennel and anise too, don't be shy to throw a little extra in ;) Jx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous salad! This will be my lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen! Happy lunching! J x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dish, love how you took a simple ingredient and elevated it so. Happy week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! Ah the humble carrot, so many possibilities!! Happy week-ending to you! J x

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a bright and beautiful salad!! This looks so delicious - thanks for sharing your recipe :) And I'm totally envious of being able to walk to a market to buy fresh produce...what a delight that must be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I am pretty lucky to live so close to a local organic market, especially come sring time! J x

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious. Exactly my sort of food :D
    I definitely relate to the market excitement. I lived in Paris for 6 months and loved my weekly market trips. I'm in Geneva this month and the markets are just as gorgeous. I picked up some of those beautiful radishes this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you! The radishes are so good right now! I'm not far from Geneva but have yet to make it to a market there, rumor has it they have kale, though! Enjoy La Swiss! J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martien Vossen20 April 2014 13:37

    Looks great! Have to try it.
    I love Moroccan dishes. Sweet and spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flavours sounds amazing! I let my quinoa cook a tad longer. It still looks raw in the photos (light coloured speckles in the centre).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Your comments and messages make my day!