Life's short - eat cake. for breakfast. And that's all she wrote, folks.
Gluten Free Apple Coconut Cake & Raw Cashew Cream
I've been doing a lot of baking lately, trying to stock up before winter hibernation I guess. And this cake is a definite triumph - light and crumbly, and packed full of good things. To be enjoyed with a morning coffee or an afternoon tea. The cashew cream can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for a few days - and is basically to die for.
Apple Coconut Cake
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, grated
Raw Cashew (Dream) Cream*
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch ground cinnamon
What to do
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with water - let soak for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 175 C
- In a small bowl, combine almond meal, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs alone for a minute or two until thick and pale in color, then add apple sauce, honey and vanilla and whisk together until well combined. Stir in grated apples.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined
- Press gently into a rectangular baking dish (11 x 7inch) and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean
- Turn off the oven and leave in the cake in to cool down slowly
- After 10 minutes remove from the oven and let cool (the more you let it cool the easier it will be to cut since its a pretty delicate cake due to the almond flour).
- Drain and rinse the cashews. To make the cashew cream place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth ( add more coconut milk for a thinner cream, or more honey for sweetness)
- Spoon the cream over a piece of cake and enjoy!